Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Slovenia: Urbas & Milavec Relations

KIM: It's getting really close to our departure date and I have spent a great deal of time trying to track down information about my Slovenian relatives. The best I have been able to do is learn the names of four of my eight Slovenian great-great-grandparents. If I am lucky, when I arrive in Slovenia, I will find the right people to help me find churches, cemeteries and town halls where I can find additional details. The Brencic and Zalar relatives are still elusive, but I think I have a good idea of their areas of origin. The Urbas and Milavec families I am more familiar with. The photo at left is another picture of Andy and Louise Urbas, taken in the late '60s, probably in Phoenix, AZ. Andy (Andrej) and Louise (Alojzija) were born in Planina and Liplje before leaving to begin their family in the US. They had five daughters, the oldest of which was my father's mother. I remember visiting Andy & Louise in their home in Phoenix when I was very young. They must have loved small children. I remember Andy would blow up balloons and rub them on my hair and show me how they would stick to the wall with the static electricity. As a four year old, I found him pretty entertaining! Louise was a great cook. I remember she would make all of the dishes from the old country - potica, vinegar cole slaw with potatoes and bacon, kidney stew, and other dishes. My grandmother (Olga) would speak Slovenian with her mother, and she even taught me to speak a little when I was very young. They were very intelligent people and valued learning and language. I'm looking forward to meeting some distant cousins from their families in Slovenia.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: