Sunday, May 13, 2007

Saso Golub, Tour Guide Extraordinaire


KIM: I spent today with Saso Golub, a freelance tour guide in the Bled area. This is a photo of Saso standing in front of the house he would want if he ever moved away from his family home near Bled Lake. Saso took me on an all-day tour of the region, from the laskeside drive around Bled to the ski-flying hills in Kranskja Gora, the Vrsic Pass, the Russian Orthodox Chapel memorial to the Russian POWs who built the road of 51 switchbacks during WWI, the WWI museum in Kobarid and the nearby Kozjak Slap (an awesome waterfall). The 45 minute car-train from Most na Soca to Bohinjska Bistrica was a beautiful finale to a really great day. Saso speaks excellent English, which is a good thing beacuse I don't know any Slovenian. Well, I must admit that because of Saso's influence, I now know about thirty more words than I did yesterday!

No comments: