Sunday, February 18, 2007

Istria

KIM: This week, I found the telephone directories for Croatia and Slovenia online. As expected, I found Brencics in Ljublana, but I also found several listings in Zagreb, one in Split, one in Rijeka, and 38 on the Istrian peninsula! According to what I have read, Istrian towns have Croatian names AND Italian names. Most residents of this region speak Croatian and Italian, and some Slovenian is spoken as well. Istria is the most northern part of Croatia - a triangular peninsula jutting out into the Adriatic Sea. Like most of the area, it was considered a territory of Venice prior to becoming part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Also in Istria I found at least one hot spring or "toplice" (pronounced tow-pleet'-say). We will be visiting many local hot springs as part of Anastasia's interest in indigenous healing traditions.

No comments: