Saturday, January 20, 2007

Getting Ready

KIM: The trip is in May, but the planning has already begun. Anastasia, Shelley and I will be in Europe before we know it! I met Anastasia Brencick here on Whidbey Island (Washington). We are obviously related somehow - my birth name was Kim Brencic. Anastasia has done some genealogical research and determined that her branch of Brencicks originated in northern Croatia - the island of Krk, or Pula on the Istrian peninsula. I have already visited some of my relations in Slovenia. My grandma Olga's father's family. The Brencics of my descent, I don't know much about. Yet. I have several months to dig up information.

My plan is to travel in Slovenia alone during the middle part of May. My first trip to Ljubljana was in 1970 with my grandmother. We visited her father's family and saw the farmhouse he grew up in, as well as the school he attended. I remember how warmly the relatives welcomed us. This time, hoping to discover some of the same people I met on the last visit and others too, I'll visit Ljubljana again, then move on to Bled, and finally see the Karst on my way to rendezvous with Anastasia and Shelley in Croatia. If anyone has any information, suggestions or people for me to look up, please post your ideas! I am hoping to stay with real people, rather than in hotels, and will be taking (and blogging) lots of photos. I will gladly deliver messages and small gifts if anyone wishes.

Once I meet up with A&S in Croatia, probably in Zagreb or the nearby hot springs, we will visit Plitvitce Lakes National Park, Pula and Krk, then head south for Split and ferry to Korcula and Dubrovnik. We'll be looking for more Brencicks (or Brencics) in Croatia (even though my dad says that OUR Brencics came from Slovenia!). I think any information about people that share our name will be interesting! We're hoping to accomplish the Croatia part of the trip in two weeks.

So, stay posted for details and information. And please add any ideas you have to this blog. We appreciate your help! -Kim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My email address starts Adventura so you can probably tell I love a good adventure. Soooo happy for you and friends....this sounds like one wonderful time!!! Great blog and thanks so much for including all of us in your exiting and interesting research and plans. Will be following your adventure with great enjoyment.

Anonymous said...

And Happy Birthday,Dad and Cheryl